Sunday, May 17, 2015

Mt. Saint Bernard College

My brother and I with three of the Aboriginal boys at MSB.

Today, we spent the day at Mount Saint Bernard College (a boarding school in Queensland) and learned some about the school.  It was founded about 100 years ago by Irish nuns who wanted to educate the growing population of miners' children.  Originally, it was only a school for European children, but it now educates mostly Aboriginal and Torres Strait children.  While my dad did more professional development workshops, my brother and I did some school work and visited a few classes.  Some of the Indigenous boys gave us a lesson on the didgeridoo and we played our violins for them.  It was really interesting to see the differences between these styles of music.  One thing we had in common was smiles!

After my dad's presentations finished, we took a tour of the school.  We got to see some of the dorms, and my brother and I taught a few Aboriginal kids how to play Frisbee.  After our tour, we said good-bye and started our drive to Cairns (this was only about two hours, thank goodness).  We arrived at a caravan park near Cairns around 8:00pm and went right to bed.  Tomorrow, we will drop off the caravan and move into a hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment